I remember our Saturday trips to the market next to my elementary school in the summer. There was a strip mall with a few boutique shops filled with over priced lawn ornaments, card making supplies and eclectic fashion for the growing 50+ community the area. Behind the shops lived a mini golf course and a small bakery cafe selling cream cheese frosted cinnamon buns the size of my face. I loved that bakery. I always wondered where the pastries came from, what kind of machine could make perfect cream filled cannelloni's and bright yellow lemon bars. I was too young to understand that there was a person who actually made these things with there own hands.
My favorite thing from that bakery was the berry crumble squares. Something about the jammy berries on a crisp oatmeal crust just felt good. It felt like sunshine and the trees in the forest surrounding the little market place.
This recipes is different from the squares I remember. I recently discovered violet and how wonderfully it pairs with dark fruits like blackberries and Plum. You can use any type of berry for the recipe, but this version is my favorite.
For the Crust & Oat Topping
170g Rolled Oats
110g AP flour
114g Brown Sugar
195g Cold Butter
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together.
2. Grate cold butter in to the dry mix and work the butter in with your hands until it resembles course sand.
3. Split the mix in half. Press half of it into a baking pan to form the base. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 F. Save the other half for the topping.
For the Filling -
3 large Plums - Diced
3 drops Violet extract
200g Blackberry or Blueberry Jam
1 tbs Cornstarch
1. Dice the plums.
2. Toss the blackberries with the cornstarch.
3. Mix the plums, berries, jam and violet together.
4. When the oatmeal crust has cooled, spread the berry mix evenly on top of the crust.
5. Put the rest of the oatmeal topping on top of the berries and bake at 350 F for 25 mins.
6. Allow to cool before cutting into squares.