If you have never made bread before, or have only used a bread machine, this probably isn't the easiest recipe to start with, but it can certainly be done. A key pointer with bread is be patient! It takes time for for the gluten to develop, and it takes time for it to rise. This recipe will probably take about 2 hours start to finish, and most of that time will be waiting for the bread to rise. Keep the dough some where warm, like on the counter top next to the oven while its preheating, it will help the yeast stay warm and you wont have to wait as long for it to double. The dough should feel warm and you will be able to see little air bubbles, when you poke it, there should be a dent where you finger was and will not spring back.
Happy Bread Baking!
Cheddar & Chive Brioche Buns
600g Bread Flour
64g Warm Water
30g Fresh Yeast
225g Soft Butter
150g grated cheese ( or more!)
For this recipe, you can use all purpose flour if your dont have bread flour, and fresh yeast can be replaced with Active dry yeast. If using active dry yeast, use half the amount - 15g.
Pre heat Oven to 325 celcius
1. Combine yeast with warm water and let sit for 10 minutes somewhere warm, it should be bubbly and active.
2. Weigh out flour, salt, and sugar into a stand up mixer bowl
3. Add eggs and yeast, mix with a dough hook on low speed until everything comes together.
4. Add the soft butter all at once and turn up to second speed, its very important butter is very soft so it will mix into the dough. you can soften butter in the microwave. Mix on second speed for about 10 minutes.
5. At this point the dough will be stretchy and sticky, move it to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
6. When the dough has risen, punch it down.
7. Roll the dough out into a square, sprinkle the side facing up ward with cheese and chopped chives.
8. Roll the dough like a jelly roll, and slice into 12 equal sized pieces.
9. Place each slice into a metal or glass baking tray, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise again until double, about 30 min- 1 hr.
10. Bake your cheese buns at 325 for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.