Financier is a pastry classic, originating in France it is found in cafes, patisseries and restaurants. Its made with butter, egg whites and ground nuts, usually almonds but there are many variations. Its rich and nutty with a crisp exterior.
Financier can be served as dessert with pears and ice cream, its density holding up well to a warm caramel sauce. Sometimes it is baked in little molds and served at the end of meal as mignardise or simple paired with coffee or tea.
Financier with Vanilla and Orange
120g Brown Butter
120g Ground Almonds
67g All purpose Flour
190g Egg Whites
1 Vanilla Pod
1 Orange, Zested
Set your oven to 390 F
1. In a small pot cook the butter to beurre noisette (brown butter). Cool to room temp
2. Sift Sugar, Ground Almonds and All Purpose flour into a bowl.
3. Scrap the vanilla pod and zest an orange into the bowl.
4. Add the egg whites and Brown Butter and whisk together.
5. Generously pan spray or butter a a muffin tin and fill each cavity half way with financier mix.
6. Bake for 12-17 minutes depending on the size.
Serve warm, dusted with icing sugar and pair with ice cream and fresh berries.