This recipe is a classic shortbread with a few simple modifications.
For the whole wheat short bread I replaced a portion of the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour, and tossed in a handful of hazelnuts. By no means is this meant to be a "healthier" version of shortbread, but it does have a nice rich, nutty flavor. This shortbread pairs well with a mocha or cappuccino sprinkled with cocoa powder.
Hazelnut & Whole Wheat Short Bread
150g Whole Wheat Flour
300g AP Flour
1. Cream butter and sugar in a stand up mixer or a hand beater
2. Add egg, scrape down the sides.
3. Add the whole wheat flour, then add the AP flour one half at a time.
4. Mix in the hazelnuts.
5. On a floured surface, roll the dough into a log 2 inches thick, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours.
6. Slice cookies 1 cm thick, sprinkle with sanding sugar and bake at 325 Celsius for 15 minutes.