Pastry cream is a fundamental element in the pastry kitchen. Its used to fill a number of baked goods: Mille Fuille, Profiteroles, Doughnuts and is a base for decadent creams like creme diplomat, German butter cream and ciboust. Pastry creme can be compared to the mother sauces in the savory kitchen - one recipe that is the base for hundreds of new creations. Its made from 5 ingredients - eggs, milk, flour or cornstarch, sugar and butter.
*tip - for fruit flavored pastry cream, substitute half of the milk with fruit puree.
Such as using 250 grams strawberry puree and 250g Milk.
Vanilla Bean Pastry Cream
6 egg yolks
1 Vanilla pod - scraped
or 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Scrap the vanilla bean pod into the milk and scald the milk on medium heat. Milk should be bubbling just a little bit, almost to a boil.
2. Whisk the cornstarch, sugar and egg yolk together. Pour a little bit of the hot milk in to the egg mix and whisk, continue to add the milk a little at a time to temper the eggs.
3. Pour everything back into the pot and cook on medium heat while continuously stirring. The pastry cream will begin to thicken, at this stage use a whisk and continue cooking until thick and smooth. All of the starchiness should be cooked out.
4. Remove the pastry cream from the heat, and strain through a mesh strainer to get rid of any lumps. You will have to push it through the strainer with a spatula.
5. Cool the pastry cream and cover with plastic wrap.
225g Confectioners sugar
2 tbs Blueberry puree
1. Mix in 2 tbs of blueberry puree into the confectioners sugar. The glaze should be thick enough to hold its self when glazing the doughnut. You may need to add a little more puree or a little more sugar depending on how thick you would like the glaze to be.
1. Wait for the doughnuts to cool.
2. With a pairing knife, cut a small hole into the side of the doughnut.
3. Fill a pastry bag with pastry cream ad insert it into the hole to fill the doughnut.
4. Glaze the doughnut by dipping the top of the doughnut in the glaze, while upside down, remove the excess glaze with a spatula or your fingers.
5. Melt some white chocolate and drizzle it over the top.